Monday, April 5, 2010

EMPOWERMENT


Yesterday was our 29th anniversary. Wow, I know it wasn't just yesterday, but it sure doesn't seem like it was 29 years ago. I was thinking about our wedding day. It was a great day, family, friends, music, 24 cases of wine, and 15 kegs of beer. Woo Hoo!!! What a party! Everybody came to dance and get drunk, but my favorite part of the day didn't have anything to do with the reception party. The best part of the entire wedding day was a tiny bit of time when my Dad and I were standing outside the church doors, the bridesmaids were almost down the aisle. We were waiting for our cue from the music, in a few minutes we'd be walking down the aisle to a new phase of life. My Dad, with his quiet strength and wisdom, my guardian, my defender and loudest opponent in all arguments, my teacher, my best friend, the man whom I depended on all my life, turned to me and said, "There's 200 people in this church and a good man waiting at the end of the aisle, If you want to change your mind right now, I've got your back, No one will ever say a bad thing to you about cancelling this wedding. Wow, for real, a way out with no retribution. My Dad was awesome. Feeling totally Empowered, I reached out for my Dads arm. The doors swung open and we walked down the aisle into a new and exciting chapter of life with my wonderful husband. 29 years later... My wish today is LOVE and EMPOWERMENT for everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment